Monday, June 29, 2009

Surveying continues

We're two weeks into surveying and half way through the entire internship (it is going so F A S T ). It has been eventful, surprising, very interesting, somewhat disappointing, but altogether worth it. I've been learning so much. I've learned that I know NOTHING! I've been learning that I am small and very much an outsider. I've learned of the importance of a gatekeeper in doing surveys. If someone comes the door and sees someone they recognize, it usually (always even) goes much better. Even if they don't recognize them, the person I am with can say "I live just up the street" and we can go forward. It is difficult to get past the salesperson/Jehovah's witnesses norm. No one wants to be sold to, especially now, so I am doing my best to convince whoever opens the door that I am not selling anything, that I am not from the government, and I am not trying to recruit new members for my church. The most important thing at this point is finding people from the church to walk around their neighborhoods with me. It's proving difficult but certainly not impossible. I am encouraged because I know that this is the Lord's work and if He wants it done, it will get done!

No comments:

Post a Comment